View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Connie22
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I hope they find out quickly what is wrong. I will explain the best that I can what happened to my ten month old yorkie. She was throwing up and had what they now say was several seizures. I did not know that at the time. She would cry and make weird noises. I had no idea what was wrong. 1 month and seven different vets, could not figure it out either. When this started she weighed 6.25 lbs and by the time they figured it out she was down to 2.5 lbs. and hooked up to IVs. We finally took her to a teaching Vet hospital 4 1/2 hours away. She stayed 9 days and they diagnosed her with Idiopathic Epilipsy. All my research says that she probably drank some bad water. This makes soooo much since in our case, because we had taken her for a walk that first morning and she drank a little bit of water out of the side of the road, which probably had some fertilizer or some kind of chemicals in it. This whole episode ended up costing us $7,000 and almost losing our dog. It's not like someone said this will cost you x amount of dollars, everytime we took her somewhere to be checked which was all the time, it of course would cost us. One doctor dx 3 small ulcers, so we would have to syringe maalox down her, and then she would throw that up. I am telling you that water or pediolite is the best thing, make sure you keep the dog hydriated. They finally gave Lexi volume to calm her system down, which worked (she only got a couple doses) and then phenobarbitrol, which she is still on. She is on such a small amount it really doesn't register on the blood tests that she has yearly. The good news is.....This was a little over 2 years ago and she is perfect. The best dog ever. She plays, eats and sleeps. No problems since. She even came home from the hospital with a feeding tube. There is hope. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.
Connie
Connie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!