View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
msanna
No Longer a Member

I have a yorkie with food allergies and a silky terrier (7 years old now) that has had the same mucous/bloody diarrhea problems. When he was 2 years old he started having the problems and I thought he was gonna die. It was the scariest thing I ever went throught with him. We spent several thousand $ on vets that couldn't tell us a thing. So, finally I went to a vet whom checked his stool(I took a sample of the bad poo in), did a complete blood panel. Everything checked out ok. She felt he had a sensitive tummy like IBS. So she gave us a hypo allergenic diet (it took two tries with the diet to find the right one). She also put him on a low dose of prednisone and a low dose of metronidazole to take during the worst flares only. We supplement with a spoon of yoplait yogurt daily.

We stayed on prednisone daily for about eight months then weaned to every other day, twice a week, and now pretty much only when he flares does he go back on it. His flares are very rare now.

I suggest strongly making sure that no one in your family sneaks people food to her. That can really mess things up. Consistancy with the diet and yogurt supplement daily seems to really help my Benjamin.
msanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!