View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
MikaTallulah
YT 1000 Club Member

Some dogs are slower to learn commands than others. Lucky my golden is a people pleaser if you say jump is says "How high." Cozy on the other hand is a little on the stubborn side.

Pratience and persists. Try and keep the training sections short and sweet and slowly work up to longer sessions. If is takes you a long time to corral your baby. He probably thinks you are playing a game. Cozy loves to be chased after but don't want you to leave her. When it is time to go inside the house I say "Inside" and then go to the house and inside I go. She follows 99.9% of the time. When I first got Cozy she was a runner, the breeder was a free spirit who let her dogs do whatever they wanted so none of her dogs would come to her. Cozy thought it was a game. She would run away from me and then play bow and bark. It took a while for Cozy to learn to come when called. For weeks whenever she was outside she was attached to long lead (I used thin string so it was not heavy) that she would drag behind her. When it was time to go inside I would say "Inside" and walk away. If she did not follow I would grab the lead and say "Come Cozy" and gently pull on the string as soon as she started to come to me I would get out food from my pocket to give to her and say "good girl". She loves nuts so that was her weakness. She has to work for "good girl." Maybe there is a toy your dog loves that toy could be the reward for coming to you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!