View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
buddyqu
Yorkie Talker

Default ear infection and a few training ? (fyi long ?)

My 10 mo Yorkie is also my first dog. I did not notice he had ear infections. He scratched a lot and I'd check him for fleas but no redness or smell. My groomer pointed it out to me and I felt really bad. We never trained his ears up. Does this make him prone to infection? Also what is everyone's opinion on doggie doors? It's starting to get cold here in New England and I can't keep the door ajar. He will take himself out but the common problem of never telling me he has to go. If the door is shut i'll just find a puddle. I have 3 small kids so no bells please! O.K. The big question. He will not come to me at all. We have trained Buddy since we had him and he is very good. He seems to not like his harness or being put on a lead. I now keep his harness on all the time and have been training with treats to come as a game and also because I need him to come to me so I can put him on a lead or in his crate when i go out. I am suspicious he knows this will happen and will not come to me now AT ALL ..EVER! I've even upped the anti with steak and chicken! We had a trainer come and have been working with a 30 ft. lead to let him roam and then we can tug him if he hesitates or is distracted. It seemed to make it worse. We give him plenty of play and affection time also. If he does come while on the training lead it is turtle slow and sulky the whole way. I try to stay positive and reward and praise but I don't think i am getting anywhere. Any new ideas/?? I have to have one of my kids corral him to me in order for him to come to me..This takes up to 20 min or so. HELP!!! Oh also is this weird..if he is on his way to me and I say good boy or yes he stops and turns around. It's like he doesn't like praise either!

Last edited by buddyqu; 09-16-2007 at 09:29 AM.
buddyqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!