View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Sugar's Mom
BANNED!

You have been given great adivce. just be aware that hardly any breeders do bile acid tests on an entire litter of puppies or make you take limited registration. Many reputable breeders will sell on unlimited registration. there really is no need to limit registration unless the puppy is poor quality or very small. Now about the bile acid tests, the reason most breeders don't do them on babies is that they have to be fasted for twelve hours before the test and often, they are too small to go thru this. But there ARE some breeders that bile acid test every puppy. my vet recommended against bile acid testing for my first yorkie who was only eight weeks when I brought him home. he was bile acid tested at six months and we still worried about him because he is a little guy. That is something else you will need to be concerned about when you get him home. Make sure he is eating because puppies might stop eating when they are in a strange environment. this can cause hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. buy a tube of Nutracal to have on hand just in case hee stops eating. if he gets lethargic or not eating, give him one fingertip of nutracal two or three times a day until he starts eating. The ideal time to bring him home is twelve weeks but in different regions of the country, breeders let them go younger. here in kentucky, most go to new homes at six weeks. that scares me to death. mine go between ten and twelve weeks. Actually, I have only let one go at ten weeks. they are just too fragile. Ask, the breeder if she has a health warranty for genetic defaults that might show up later. good luck with your new puppy and post lots of pictures when you get him.
Sugar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!