View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan121s View Post
There is a big difference between if a dog can be bred according to AKC's rules and should a dog be bred. There are more things to consider when breeding than "if I breed my dog at X age, can the litters be registered?" AKC's "rules" on when a litter is registerable are just that--they ARE not to serve as concrete guidelines for breeding. Under NO circumstances should ANY dog EVER be bred at only 7 months! (Not to mention that there are registries other than AKC. )

To answer the question of the OP, I would not personally breed a female past the age of 5, males around the age of 7.
I definitely agree with the 7 months remark. At 7 months, the puppy is not done growing and developing so how are you to know if he will meet the standard when he's done growing. Neither a male or female should be bred until around 2 years old because that is when they are normally fully mature. Also, at 7 months you don't know if any genetic issues may develop later on. My yorkie wasn't diagnosed with luxating patellas until 2 years old. I really hope you don't plan to breed him this early.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!