View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #14
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistystradtner View Post
Go to AKC on line and read their rules. They have specific minimum and maximum ages that a dog may produce a registerable litter, whether male or female. I recently read it because I have a young stud who is very eager to breed. I wanted to make sure before I allowed him any access to females that he was old enough. The minimum male age is 7 mo. but I didn't notice the max female age. Of course, it also depends on her health, but you and her doctor know that. Again, check the AKC rules. Good luck.
There is a big difference between if a dog can be bred according to AKC's rules and should a dog be bred. There are more things to consider when breeding than "if I breed my dog at X age, can the litters be registered?" AKC's "rules" on when a litter is registerable are just that--they ARE not to serve as concrete guidelines for breeding. Under NO circumstances should ANY dog EVER be bred at only 7 months! (Not to mention that there are registries other than AKC. )

To answer the question of the OP, I would not personally breed a female past the age of 5, males around the age of 7.
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!