View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
chachi
I Love My Yorkies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyinca View Post
There is nothing wrong with Eukanuba. A lot of the "information" websites out there really are designed to promote 2 or 3 specific brands of non-grain dogfoods with exceedingly high protein levels, that are best suited to larger breed dogs.

The two biggest complaints most people have with Eukanuba are: 1. that it contains by-products, and 2. that it contains corn.

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding by-products. There are federal guidelines that mandate what can be included in by-products, and no, they do NOT include beaks and feathers. It is basically the organs and stuff that people do not want to eat, but they are rich in nutrients that dogs need, and dogs like eating liver and hearts and stuff like that.

As far as corn is concerned, there are two main complaints circulating: 1. that it is not digestible, and 2. that it causes allergies. The undigestibility of corn refers to whole kernal corn. If your dog ate whole corn kernals, yes, you'd probably see them come out the other end--that is simply because the skin prevents it from being dissolved. When it is ground, the skin is not a factor, and the starch and protein is processed just like any other grain.

As far as allergies are concerned, the incidence of corn-related allergies is actually quite low. (And I do not have the links for this, but there is a poster on dogforums.com who has lots of useful links and information on this.)

There is a really good discussion in Yorkshire Terriers for Dummies on dogfood, and it addresses the issue of by-products.

That said, I have had Chloe on several different premium foods. We had a lot of trouble getting her to eat, and she lost a lot of weight. We just recently switched to Eukanuba, and she has never eaten so well in her life.

PS. I have no desire to get into a dogfood debate, and I will not. I have read the politically-charged websites out there (dogfood project, "truth" about dogfood, and the 4d's) and I am not impressed by the information. You have to ask yourself where the information comes from, and what does it promote in the end. You watch your dog waste away on "premium" dogfoods, and you'd be happy to see her THRIVE on Eukanuba too. So, you feed what your dog does well on. What might be right for one, is not necessarily right for another.

hope this helps
I thank you for posting that. Mine eat caesars which has biproducts. Thats what they love
chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!