View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
shyorkies
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Animal Smiley 049 Show Quality?

What I look for in a yorkie that I would like to show is first Additude, if they do not have outgoing attitude and are more shy or timid they are not a good show prospect. Second I look at the structure, topline, ear set, tail set, bite, gait, knees and rear angulation. If all those characteristics pass I then look at coat. I try not to put to much into the pedigree of the dog, as some dogs have pedigrees out of this world but the quality of the dog is poor at best! I also hate to mention this but just because a dog is being shown or is a Champion does not mean its conformation is good!! I have seen many yorkies in the show ring that I myself would NOT even use in my breeding program let alone show! I have also learned that the dog show world is VERY political and sometimes it is not the dog that wins, but the person holding the lead! JMO..

I was told by a yorkie show breeder one time to pick three characteristics I cannot live without in my yorkies.. She said give them three strikes, if they have three strikes keep looking as this is not the dog I want to purchase!

Melanie
shyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!