View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Welcome. It's obviously a personal choice, but since you're asking, you must be looking for ideas or different opinions. I love hearing what other people do. I have a 10 year old that sleeps with me (Reggie) and a 5 month old that sleeps in the crate an arm's length away from me on the floor beside the bed (Coby). Here's what I've done. It's easier to housetrain if they sleep in a crate. You never have to look for accidents, and there's no chance of them revisiting a secret spot if there isn't one. Then when they're becoming trustworthy in the house unattended, you can start training them to sleep in the bed with you if you want. I did this by going to bed early (before I was really ready to sleep) and bringing Reggie to bed with me. If he laid down, fine, but if he was playing around and wanting to get off the bed, he went directly to his crate to bed. We did this for weeks. Eventually he learned that if he settled, he got to stay, but as soon as he wanted to play or get off the bed, he went in the kennel. By now, of course he can get up and down as he chooses. But when it's lights out in the house, he's the first one in the bed and the last one out. I can't wait until Coby is ready!!!

(Remember that one of the secrets of housebreaking while forgiving the accidents, is trying hard to avoid even the opportunity to fail!!)

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide and how you do it!!

Last edited by For My Coby; 08-02-2007 at 05:17 PM.
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!