Thread: Hi there
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
jwash
YT 500 Club Member

I crate trained mine and went from crate to potty outside. The big issue I had was when Lacey came, she's was such a small puppy she needed food and water 24/7. So the older one of course wants to eat too. It's easier sometimes to feed them out of their bowl by hand so I can regulate what it going in. You are doing it right, just start becoming aware of the needs of each one. For example, Chloe is now old enough to potty in the morning, around noon and after dinner. Lacey is small at 3 lbs and if she eats, you better get her outside fast, she's going to potty right away. I tried the bell on the door but that did not work. I just follow a routine of first thing in the am, after eating, playing or nap and after dinner, then one final at bedtime, then into their crates for night night. It took a good 6 months and I still have accidents when it is raining, they just hate to go outside then. Some people say it takes a year for a small toy breed, it just depends. I also realized when Chloe is unhappy, she would sometimes potty on purpose, I swear she did. So, I decided it was ok for them to know when I am unhappy with them, so I used a stern voice of No, potty outside. When I started doing this, both of them suddently "got it".
jwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!