View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Durham View Post
Thanks for the reply...
Yikes, I thought that waiting would be more beneficial. I'm always hearing horror stories of people attempting to breed to early with disastrous results, which is why I opted to wait... She's at her 9th or 10th day today since her bleeding had begun, so she should be ready.
Both dogs are registered through AKC and have been checked by their vets and are both very healthy.
Thanks again!

What do you mean vet checked? Have they both had smears done for any bacteria or STDs. Have you had their hearing tested, their eyes tested for Progressive Retinal Atrophy. Have their hips and knees been x-rayed. Full blood panel work and Bile Acid tests.

Rule of thumb for breeding a female - not prior to 18 months of age or 2nd cycle. But, waiting to the age of 3 can be detrimental to the female.

10th day is usually an average of when a female is ready. Being a first time and a virgin. She may be mean and attempt to snap and not be receptive. If he's a first timer.....he needs to be shown how. Very critical time for first timers.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!