Thread: How much???
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpheliaLoved View Post
When I first took Paddington to the vet, he was 4 lbs, three months old. Last month, he was five months old and weighed 6 lbs. During the first visit, the vet told me to feed him 1/3 C food. Well since he is bigger, I have increased the amount of food, but I am wondering if now he gets too much??? He gets one 1/3 C scoop in the morning, and one 1/3 scoop in the evening. Sometimes he also gets a half of a small apple chopped up or a half a jar of baby food (not every night, just sometimes... maybe three times a week)

is 2/3 C too much food for a 6 lb 5 month yorkie? I know dogs are different than cats, but my cats both ate a cup of dry food, plus half a can of wet food,and they were about the same size..... That is kind of what I was basing it on.

Thanks for an advice!
-O
What kind of food are you feeding him? Emma weighs 6 lbs, and got 1/2 cup dry food each day when we were feeding Blue Buffalo Adult. Now we're feeding homecooked, so the amount increased (since a lot of it is water), and she gets 1/4-1/3 cup Blue Buffalo kibble in the morning, topped with 1-2 tsp. lowfat cottage cheese. Then 1/3 cup homemade food mixture at dinner time, plus usually some fruit (no more than 1 T. at a time), plus treats for training or just because

Milli weighs 4 lbs, and gets 1/4 cup of dry puppy food, plus 1/4 cup homecooked mixture, plus the extras that Emma gets (proportional, of course).

I think 1/2 an apple of 1/2 jar of baby food might be too much extra of one thing at a time. Could upset his tummy and cause weight gain. Just my opinion though!

As far as weight gain for puppies goes, Emma (now 16 months) gained a little at each vet check, with steady growth. Milli (now 8 months) gained NOTHING for the first 3-4 months we had her-she was 3 lbs. for what seemed like forever-in fact, she lost a few ounces here and there. She then started gaining again, and I think she's around 4.5 lbs. now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!