Thread: Crate Training
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMARI View Post
I've read up all there is to read. Can someone please explain to me how often do you use the crate when you crate train? Do you keep them in there all the time, except to potty or eat? And for a Yorkie, what kind of crate do you have? I have a small one, it looks like a carrier, but made of soft material. He goes in tehre sometimes to nap during the day, but at night forget about it. And during the day when he's not napping he won't stay in there. (He barks and cries) Do I just let him bark? (Yeah.....I know) PLease give me some hope Will he ever want to use the newspaper??? I posted about potty training..

Mari
well i think it depends on if you can be home all day> and all i can help with is if you are going to be home with him. Layla was ONLY in her crate at night because otherwise i was watching her like a hawk! lol.. during the day she went out to potty every hour... after she ate, played and napped. At bedtime she was in the smallest crate i could get but i had to stuff the back with towels.. you only want him to be able to lay down. at night he might cry.. if he does take him out fast to pee.. no talking.. just praise after he does his business.... then back in the crate.. if he cries again.. just ignore him.. he will fall asleep.. and will probably wake uyou up again at night to pee more.. make sure he can see you when he is in his crate so he doens't feel alone... so to answer your question.. yup.. let him bark/cry it out... as longa s you have given him the chance to pee... it will take a few sleepless nights.. we've all been there but now Layla goes in her crate when she is tired or just needs a break i don't know a thing about paper training as layla goes outside but i know tons of people will be able to help you with that!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!