View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #103
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkieluv View Post
I agree, raw or canned is better than dry....But the amount of protein can be VERY deceiving. You have to convert it to a dry matter basis in order to get the accurate amount of protein...
If you read a can of dog food, it might say 8% protein, so you think, hey, that's pretty low, but in reality, it's not...You have to check the moisture content. Let me give you an example...
Food A has:
8% protein
6% fat
1.5% fiber
80% moisture
So to calculate the amount of protein on a dry matter basis, you have to take the 8(the amount of protein) divided by 20(the reciprocal of the amount of moisture)= 40% protein on a dry matter basis
So that can of food that you thought was only 8% protein is actually 40% protein
Same goes for the raw....Do that calculation on the raw, and you will see how much protein is actually in it. Make sure to check how much moisture is in it...And do the calculations.
Hi! okay in the meantime samie is not scooting anymore. she has been on the canidae diet for 2 wks as of today and she is improving every day. BIG DIFFERENCE! :-) so... the vet tells me again today....that we should at least "try" the Pres Hills diet W/D with adding 1 teas once a day of potassium citrate granules. This diet again.... first ingred is CORN. I do not want to put her on this and risk seeing her sick again like the last food did to her. she is totally different and back to her old self off of that purina nf food.

so...... my question to you? :-) do you think you can help me break down the values (vet said she needs to be on low phosphorus, low calcium and low magnesium and low fat to lose weight. she needs to lose 1-1.5 lbs. she is 7 lbs right now and believe it or not... she is considered obese.

i purchased today the platinum canidae canned food. I have heard that "moisture" is good for her diet (with the cystal situatition) and.... this canned food says: and she also said that samie needs to be on a food that is low in calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium so it that is the case.... check out the ingrediets for those (i placed a * next to those values) what do you think? of course samie probably couldn't be on a "canned" food only... but maybe we are in the right direction if we fed her the canidae canned? i don't know though. if we do the breakdown a lot of these values would increase A LOT. that's what i am afraid of. appreciate any help you can give me with this. i am getting worried. i know she can't stay on the food she is on now and i fear she is producing more and more crystals since she came off of the pres diet 2 wks ago.

crude protein 6.00%
crude fat: 4.50%
crude fiber: 2.00%
moisture: 75.00%
*calcium: 0.15%
*phosphorous: 0.125%
*magnesium: 0.15%
vitamin E: 125.00
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!