View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

I was able to find this info on line:

There is no recommended diet to dissolve calcium oxalate stones. For prevention a diet low in protein and oxalates and high in magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium is recommended. Increased dietary magnesium and phosphorus decreases the amount of calcium in the urine, and increased dietary calcium reduces absorption of oxalates from the intestines.[6] Potassium citrate has been recommended as a preventative for calcium oxalate stone formation because it forms a soluble complex with oxalates and promotes the formation of alkaline urine. (taken from wikipedia)

so after reading that info,I am assuming a diet that is:
low in protein and oxalates
high in magnesium
high in phosphorus
high in calcium

* low in fat (to help control and lose weight)

SAMIE IS 7 LBS AND IS IS OVERWEIGHT BY ABOUT 1 1/2-2 LBS

I am just trying to understand why she was given this today??? B/C PER THE INFO WE FOUND ON WIKIPEDIA... IS SAYS "HIGH" MAGNESIUM AND "HIGH" PHOSPHORUS -and these ingredients are lower in the the food she prescribed. but i do think she was allergic to "corn" so that is why i am skeptical.

Not UNLESS...the "potassium citrate granules" add something to this food that it is not providing by itself? it is "low" in fat to help her lose weight...I am still just skeptical based on the last food and what happened to her on it. She was in bad shape. I am currently trying to compare the 2 foods to see the difference (if any) purina vet pres diet NF and the one given today: hills prescrition diet W/D

* w/d® with Chicken Canine PLUS ADD 1 TEAS OF POTASSIUM CITRATE GRANULES

IT IS USED FOR: For Weight Control and the Nutritional Management of Fiber Responsive Diseases, Excess weight, diabetes and digestive troubles can cause problems for your dog. Feeding the right food can help your pet live a healthier lifestyle. Prescription Diet® w/d® with Chicken Canine dog food, with its fiber rich formula, may be useful as a nutritional aid for dogs with fiber responsive diseases such as diabetes mellitus, colitis, diarrhea, constipation, and to help manage overweight dogs, including those with struvite urolithiasis. The nutritional formulation of Prescription Diet® w/d® may also be useful for pets with a variety of conditions

Product Characteristics for Hills pres diet-W/D:
Carnitine:High
Magnesium :Reduced
Calories:Low
Phosphorus:Reduced
Fat:Low
Sodium:Low
Fiber:Increased

Added Antioxidants Help reduce free radical damage to counteract oxidative stress

Target Urine pH Acid (6.2 - 6.4)*

*Urine pH of individual dogs may vary due to complicating factors such as: time of feeding before urine collection, type of urine collection, individual animal variation, and test methodology.

*Urine pH of individual dogs may vary due to complicating factors such as: time of feeding before urine collection, type of urine collection, individual animal variation, and test methodology.

* I am currently researching these Potassium Citrate Granules as well.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!