View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
Lady of Yorkies
YT 1000 Club Member

Default A question for breeders who have more experience than I breeding Yorkies.

I have 2 studs, brothers but not from the same litter. Their father weighs 3 1/2lbs and their mother about the same or maybe 4lbs. Mr. Big and Nicky both weigh right around 4lbs.

Mr. Big throws babies all sizes, from 2.3ozs up to almost 4ozs. Nicky throw big babies, I think his smallest has been 3ozs.

Mr. Big's children are all different sizes when they grow up, but usually the smaller ones tend to be the smallest of the litters. Nicky's children are all tinys. Below 4lbs and so far 5 of them are 3lbs or less.

Mr. Big's children are totally healthy with no problems. Nicky's tinys started off well with the first litter but the 2nd litter had a little girl with low blood sugar problems. My present litter, 2 boys and a girl, are all having problems with low blood sugar. We almost lost the little girl today. They are 10 weeks old.

I have only had Yorkies for 4 years and been breeding for 2 years. I love having the tinys but I am scared to death to sell them after they have come down with the low blood sugar scares.

I have bred Nicky to a female 6 3/4lbs twice, this present litter is from her, she is the mother of Nicky's first and third litters. Nicky's 2nd litter was to a 4 1/2lbs female.

Nicky's 2nd litter, the first baby was 5 ozs, the biggest of the litter. She is 6 months old and only 2lbs. The puppy chart says she will be 2 1/2lbs but this line stops growing between 6 and 7 months. One of her brothers is 3lbs and the other is approximately 4 1/2lbs.

I am wondering if you more experienced breeders of Yorkies think that if I use a larger female it will stop the low blood sugar episodes from happening? Right now the 6 3/4lb female is the largest I have that is of the same registry as Nicky, AKC. Should I double register him and try him with my 10lb female?

I am exhausted by these little ones and worried about selling any of them. Sylvia
Lady of Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!