View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in Waco View Post
First, I want to clarify that this post is just for the sake of knowledge. I am always interested in learning more about Yorkies! LOL

Gizmo is 15 weeks old, male and we have a limited registration/ pending alteration contract. I am happy with that since I have done a lot of research and respect the health/behavior reason for neutering. I also have a GREAT deal of respect for people who show in conformation and appreciate how much work goes into it. You are truly dedicated to showing how beautiful the Yorkie breed is to others.

Now for my question....when the breeder showed Gizmo to us along with his littermate (also male), she was still trying to decide which one she would keep for herself. If a breeder is selling a puppy to a local buyer, might he/she sell only with a limited registration to reduce the potential for show competition? I would think that the more wins in a line, the better for you as a breeder, but I wonder. Any thoughts?
No, but what it sounds like, since she didn't sell you the pup as a show dog, she was having difficulty deciding which she was going to show. The reason for selling with limited registration are many. The pup doesn't have the it factor. She doesn't want her pedigree all over the place. In other words reputable breeders only breed for themselves looking for that next champion, all others go out on a spay nueter contract. This is done to protect their hard work of perfecting their line.

I know when I sell a show dog (and do so very reluctantly, after really knowing and trusting the person) it is with a very stringent contract, I want that puppy Championed and I don't want my pedigree in every back yard breeders hands.....it was entrusted to me by some of the top breeders in the country.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!