View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #60
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
I'm glad you're happy with your new vet. I do have one concern with you using the Innova Evo. Since it is a grain free DRY food, it is very high in protein. High protein levels can be bad for dogs with kidney problems. If you feed a grain free wet food or raw food, there is a lot of moisture in the food so the protein level isn't as high as in the dry food. You might want to ask your vet about high protein levels with her kidney problems. I think you are definitely on the right track though with trying a high quality natural diet.
Yes, I am thinking she is getting too much protein. If I can locate the sodium content on the canidae. i will just keep her on that. Even though it's not grain free. it is almost half the amount of protein. she also is overweight. she is only 7 lbs but she needs to lose at least 1 to 1.5 lbs and i think she would feel better. I appreciate you writing because i really didn't know what to do for my girls. they both were having bad reactions to the food (that i didn't pick up on since February) i had no idea what was going on and i was so worried. I worried sick over my little Samie (7 lbs)

She became so sick on this food that i had to immediately take her off of it and needed to switch her to something else. I couldn't go w/o feeding them so i researched as much as i could and got her the canidae. then the people at pet supplies plus talked me into feeding her a "grain free" food. so with her only being on 20% canidae into day 3. I had to remove the old food and not go with the transition since her allergic reaction in her digestive tract got so bad. yesterday and today I was feeding them the canidae and a little amount of the innova red meat formula. And i know it sounds crazy.. but I really don't know what i am doing and i am still researching and relying on my TY friends at this point. they have been so helpful. so i got so confused. she has only had small amount of the innova red meat mixed with the canidae but since,, yes... the protein amount is so high 42.42 % as compared to canidae 24%. SHe is also feeling a little crummy today. so i think i need to stop the innova red meat. i seriously think it is too much for her.

i am trying to match the ingredients in the kidney formula food but minus the main ingredient "CORN" that was so bad for my girls. who knew? i trusted my (old) vet. we just found a new vet this past w/end. the vet said she should be okay if she doesn't have any lose stools or anthing. she is taking the food transition fine. but i think today it caught up with her. so i am still researching for the best thing for her. please please if you have any other further information i appreciate it. I am alone on this one and reseaching the only way i know how. all i know is both of my girls are still doing WAY BETTER better being off of the kidney formula food made with corn. Oh gosh! it was bad.

the purina pres diet contains: crude protein: 12% crude fat: 13% crude fiber" 2.0% moisture: 12% sodium: .30 % phosp- 0.35 %

so i need to find something close as all possible to this formula. I have been researching and taking notes and having a tough time.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!