View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #54
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Default Update On Samie After Her Appt Today With The New Vet...

Samie did well at the new vet. We were the first appt and called on our way so that we can be in and out with Samie's trachea problems. (We gave her 1/2 cc. of hydromet one hour before we left the house, as the vet instructed us to do so. She had her annual exam and vaccinations. The vet took a swab of the black tar-like discharge on her vagina and tested. And also swabbed her ears for an ear cythology. Samie does have a yeast infection and some bacteria was present. Vet wants to recheck in 2 wks. She gave us medication called: Enterderm (ointment) apply 2x's a day. Since the vet we saw today is off in 2 wks. we are going to hold off and recheck 3 wks. (She was really good with Samie and I also don't want to involve another vet to see her with her CT issues she suffers while there) she had no trachea issues today and the vet said her stress level was fine and she did well. (I cannot tell you how much better that made me feel. Whew..... back of hand across forehead! :-)

She also gave Samie medication for her ears because she has a infection. We are putting 5 drops of Tresaderm. I will put in her ears 2 x's a day and will recheck also in 3 wks.

The vet is going to a urinalysis and call me next wk with the results. If she sees something that she does not like and Samie is still scooting... she is going to take some xrays to see if she has bladder stones.

Samie is now on a different food. NO MORE CORN... I took her completely off of the Purina Vet Pres NF formula for kidney control as it was causing her to scoot immediately after eating and also after a bowel movement. I think she developed an allergic reaction in her digestive track. I started her on the Canidae 4 days ago and I also started mixing Innovo EVO Red meat formula. I am not sure if I will keep her on just the Cannidae or just the Innova. I talked to 2 people at the pet store who knew a lot about food and they said that eventualy switching her to a "grain free" food would be the best thing for her. I am leaning still towards keeping her on the Canidae and some canned food also if her urinalys comes back ok. If she still is showing crystals (which i have a bad feeling about that) then i will switch her to the innova only with canned also. If passing the crystals would mean more moisture in her diet i would want her strictly on a grain free food with more canned. 1/2 and 1/2.

Since Samie has been on this new food she has not scooted or shown any signs of digestion discomfort. her stools have been normal. no runny stools what so ever so she is taking the transition of foods very well.

I did have to express her anal glands last night. She was scooting really really bad and she was very full (just on the right side only)

the last time her anal glands were expressed was 6/6/07. the vet said she just needs to have them emptied every month. hopefully her new food will produce harder stools and she will not need them done so often.

I will keep you posted on her progress. :-) thanks to all of you for providing such very important information. if it wasn't for your comments... she would still have been on the NF corn formula. that was making her SOOOO miserable. it was very sad. she seems very very happy again only after a few days :-) I hope the vet does not make me give her a diet with corn if she doesn't like the results of the urinalysis. I told the vet what we are feeding and she said she will check into it. When i talked a couple times with her about food and what I have been reading on the internet all she said was "well you will read all sorts of stuff online) like as if she was telling me that what I was finding online would not be good info or something. Well it doesn't come as a surpise b/c many of you have told me that unfortunately vets do not have much of a knowlege on nutrition and what food is best for our babies.

* both of my girls are now drinking distilled water too. We have very hard water here. I never would have even thought about changing their water to distilled so thank you for that info also! :-)

luv -n- hugs!
we will be in touch...
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!