View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #50
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Default this is the food they were on that i am in the process of taking them off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
You said she has allergies, and the scooting could be from those. I really think you should switch her food. I know a lot of vets recommend foods made by Hill's and Purina but honestly none of those foods are any good, even the prescription ones. I'm starting vet school in the fall so I feel like it's okay to say that I think most vets don't know much about nutrition. These big companies give vets a lot of free products and donate a lot of money to the vet assocation and even do most of the nutrition teaching in school. But with all I have learned about dog foods, I would never feed my dog anything made by purina or hills or any other company like that (and by being a vet student I can get hills and purina foods 80% off). If you really want to feed kibble or canned, go with a premium brand like Wellness, Innova, Natural Balance, Canidae, Merrick, Nature's Variety, etch (there are other good ones out there). A step above that would be home cooking (but make sure you get all the nutrients your dog needs in it) I think the best thing is a raw diet. I feed Nature's Variety in venison and rabbit. Raw diets are grain free. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn, wheat, and other grains (esp. corn). A food with a lot of cornmeal in it is so bad for your dog. It's just a filler and cheap source of energy. I really think your dog is probably allergic to the food you're feeding her. I would really look into something higher quality.

SO....Even the prescription diets that we are made to believe they are the best of the best for the situation are not even good? this whole time i was led to believe it was awesome food for them. that's why i thought hey- if it's good then yes both will be on it. Not to mention that it is 60.00 a bag! i simply though thats cause it was "good" food. All of the Canidae foods are half the price of that. I wonder how much the Innova runs?

In the meantime after putting them on this "SPECIAL KIDNEY FUNCTION FOOD... my little dog is scooting like MAD from it and my other yorkie too started scooting a couple weeks ago. she is 11 lbs and samie (the one with the scooting problem) is 7 lbs. she is overweight and she needs to lose at least 1.5-2 lbs. her trachea issues would improve that's for sure. funny thing is is i have no idea how she gained weight? they both eat the same food yet one has lost weight and the other has gained. it is documented that she is OBESE. she needs to be closer to the 5- 5 1/2 lb range. the problem is she isn't as active as Sadie. she has no treats and i can't get her to lose. she has gained 1 lb a year the last 2 yrs. frustrating.... AND... my other yorkie Sadie... since on the (kidney formula) food- her skin was such a bright pink...and she has been itching and scratching like MAD. vet said it was probably allergies. i can't believe she did'nt ask what she was eating? instead she said to try benedryl. otherwise she said she could have skin allergies or an infection. well hmmm... lets think back to when things started changing with her too. well she started this when we put her on this kidney food. and can you believe the (old) vet told me was okay for her to eat this. a dog that has no kidney problems what so ever..... and she is fine to eat this food. no wonder no one has anything good to say about a vet giving nutrional advice as to what kinds of food to feed.

I still think her "crystals" may possibly be from not being on a good natural diet. the dog has horrible allergies, runny eyes and nose and sinus problems from that. she licks her paw constantly. both of my dogs lick their paws- until they are soaked. (i was told that was allergies) so i can't help but wonder? did samie start creating crystals b/c she was not on a good natural food? She was on Natural Choice by Nutro for 5 yrs. before we were told to switch to the purina vet pres diet nf. in FEb.

I have read that swithing food every 3 to 6 mos is best. i still haven't convinced my husband yet. he also is not a fan of the raw food.

I wonder if samies crystals would go away if she was on a good natural food? vet NEVER talked to me about diet and what to feed. In fact it wasn't until i found this web forum on yorkies that provided much knowledible information. I feel terrible that i never researched food and what is best to feed my girls.

My little Ssmie has been scooting out of control... this kidney formula food lists the first ingredient as CORN! 5 mos of eating this food........ I am so mad at our old vet. we have an appt with the new vet this saturday. i don't know if i should evn discuss food with her?? i mean i want her to do another urinalys on samie to see if she still has crystals forming but 90 % of me wants to give this canidae food a chance to work. i only bought a 5 lb bag.

i wonder if I can switch to Innova after this bag. I am really impressed with Innova as it contains no grains what so ever. and canidae does.

You should have seen Samie tonight. this was "day 2" with the switch process and omg! such an amazing difference in her it's crazy. she scooted only once and it was only after a bowel movement. not after eating. she looked a little uncomfortable after eating but much less than a few days ago. she is even a little yappy and playful again. like as if she is feeling better. :-)

she labsolutely loves the new food. my guess is she is still scooting but not as bad -however we ARE ONLY on day 2 of the switch to the new- so she is eating about 70 % of the old still and only 30 % of the new. Gosh can't imagine how much better she will be on the new food 100%.

I even got them the canned Innova to use for when i give them their med's or an occasional treat.

Poor things have been eating nothing but almost all CORN for 6 mos now. how sad...

check out the ingredients in this Purina Canine NF Kidney Function Formula

Purina Canine NF Kidney Function Formula helps decrease the production of nitrogenous waste products. Reduced levels of sodium helps compensate for the diseased kidney's inability to regulate this important mineral.

26999-3 Purina Canine NF Kidney Function - (24x12.5 oz can) $31.99
26999-1 Purina Canine NF Kidney Function - 20 lb $34.99
26999-2 Purina Canine NF Kidney Function - 37.5 lb $54.99

Technical Specs:

Clinical Considerations The role of dietary management in canine kidney conditions is to provide a proper balance of total nutrients while meeting the special dietary needs of the patient. Low phosphorus intake helps to protect against hyperphosphatemia and the associated renal damage. Restricted but high quality protein in the diet minimizes the intake of nonessential amino acids. This helps decrease the production of nitrogenous waste products. Reduced levels of sodium helps compensate for the diseased kidney's inability to regulate this important mineral. Increased omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce glomerular hypertension. Diet Characteristics Purina Veterinary Diets® NF Kidney Function® brand Canine Formulas provide complete and balanced nutrition for adult maintenance and have been formulated to achieve the following characteristics: Low phosphorus Reduced protein Added potassium Reduced sodium Source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids Medical Indications Diets with these specific nutritional modifications have been recommended for dogs with the following conditions: Renal failure Hypertension Early stages of congestive heart failure Hepatic disease associated with encephalopathy NF Kidney Function® also features many of the characteristics that have been recommended for dogs with a history of the following condition: Calcium Oxalate Urolithiasis Medical Contraindications - Conditions that require high protein or phosphorus intake.

Ingredients (Dry)
Ground yellow corn, brewers rice, egg product, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), sugar, dried whey, sodium caseinate, calcium carbonate, vegetable oil, animal digest, potassium citrate, potassium chloride, fish oil, choline chloride, salt, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc oxide, riboflavin supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!