View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
minniemn
YT Addict

The milk doesn't come in for a few days, at first it is colestrum (sp) which the puppies need for immunity.

I had to help them attach to the nipple at first, you gently squeeze (and I mean very, very lightly) at the back of the mouth to get it open and squeeze mama's teet and put them on, they will lick and sniff and attach.

This is how the lady who mentored me showed me to get them attached at first. Then all I had to do after that is put them by the nipple, they would sniff and find it on their own, now I do nothing, they get there by themselves... they did after a couple of days.

I do have one that eats a lot and would push the others out of the way, so at times I hold him and let the other two eat for a bit before I let him by mama.

I would advise you to find someone with a car to get you to the vet though, did the vet check the roofs of their mouth when they were born? Are they warm enough? for at least the first 10 days they can not maintain body temp and have to be kept very warm.

Is your mama's teets red and hard? does she have a temp?

Have you tried different formula for the one that isn't eating?

There are others here with a lot more knowledge than I have, so hopefully they will be checking soon.
minniemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!