View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
sympa
Yorkie Yakker

Unhappy what a night we just had...

miko threw up yesterday morning at 8am and then again at 9 am. of course, we didn't think anything of it (just pitied her).
then last night she threw up again around 1am, 3 times in a row. first time was bile (what it normally is) second time was like a toothpaste tube---so weird! i had given her plain rice early in the day since her stomach was upset and it was as if the rice had congealed in her stomach and it just all came up at once, like a cat's hairball. third time was mostly bile again, a little more foamy with little specks of blood in it...the size of a period (only a few specks, but we were starting to worry a bit more)
i called a nearby emergency vet (we've never been to before) to ask if they thought we should bring her in. they said if she was dehydrated to bring her in. we pinched the skin on her neck and it was sticking a little so we decided to take their advice.
we didn't even get to meet the vet before she examined her. the assistant took miko in the back to their exam room. a few minutes later we heard a yip! from her and then a couple minutes after that we heard her scream.
several minutes later, the assistant comes back in and my husband asked "is there any reason you couldn't examine her here with us?" and the assistant gave the excuse that they couldn't because the scale was in the back. now of course we understand how the scale works, but couldn't the assistant have weighed her and then brought her back? then the vet could see her in the room with us? i checked her backside this morning and she has a little cut!! i know it wasn't there before because we have to check her backside every time she has a bm (make sure nothing stuck to her)
anyway, a while later they brought her back and she seemed ok...a little freaked out but ok. i think they just weren't comforting her at all when they took her vitals and i think they just held her down without trying to get her cooperation. she has never ever yipped or screamed at our vet's. so after they brought her back in we waited and waited for the vet to come. finally she did and she starts talking about different catastrophes that this could be. she told us her vitals were ok and that she really wasn't dehydrated. her temperature was a little high (103.6) but that things seemed pretty normal. but with regard to the vomiting, she said it could be hemorrhaghic gastroenteritis, obstruction, and on and on. at this point my husband and i are feeling uncomfortable and like we need to get miko out of there. the whole time the vet was in the room with us, she never once interacted with miko. we found that strange too. perhaps we're overreacting but it seemed that this vet came in and said "everything looks pretty good but your dog might be DYING! let us do these expensive tests even though your vet opens in 7 hours!
anyway, we won't be going back there again.
we all went to bed around 3:30 and she curled up in her little bed instead of snuggling with us like she normally does. at 5:30 she woke up heaving and she threw up a little bile, then she did this again at 6:30. we called our reg vet this morning and they told us what to watch for but that she should be able to deal with it on her own. if she's not better by tomorrow morning, we can call the vet to get in with them.
anyway, thanks for reading my rant this far.
sympa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!