Thread: House Breaking
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zena's Mom View Post
I am also very stern with her if, and thats a big if, I catch her in the act.
I think you are missing the point. The whole reason to keep her tied to you is so that you can catch her in the act. Also, use the crate as a means to contain her when you cannot watch her. But the whole point is to watch her and when you can't watch her, keep her contained. Until you minimize or totally eliminate the opportunity for her to have accidents in the house (or at least to catch her in the act every single time), she is never going to learn, because you (yes you) are still allowing her to go in the house.

It's not easy and does require ALL of your attention! I agree too, to give her a high quality treat for going outside. (something really really good).

If you know anything about the clicker, I think using one would be good. Once you go thru the exercises to establish for your dog what a clicker is for then you can begin to train her with the clicker about what it is you want her to do outside. Take her outside, as soon as she squats, click and treat. after awhile you will click after she completes the act and treat. Believe me, with a few clicks and high quality treats, she will soon associate going outside to peeing and pooing and good things too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!