View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Dan & Corinne
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemple2 View Post
About an hour ago, we were outside in the backyard...Winston was running around , stumbled and just fell down...My husband thought at first maybe he hurt his leg or something, I ran to pick him up...he was having a seizure, his little body becomes rigid, shaking, panting, drooling & his eyes seem unfocussed. This is scary business, took him indoors, started right away with the Nutri-Cal and waited...holding him...soothing him...loving him. After about 15-20 minutes, he comes around, gets a little bit stronger, where he can stand up...maybe a little bit clumsy, not running or jumping around like usual, just kind of sulking, with his tail down and his little head drooping. He ate a little dog food and he is now fast asleep by my feet. I still don't understand why this happens to him, he's an 8 pound, 3 year old. He eats great! But if it's not his blood sugar, as my vet says it is...why does he come out of it after Nutri-Cal. I don't know, but something is making his sugar go low, his last seizure was on March 8th and there doesn't seem to be any connection...he'll sometimes have them more frequently and other times it will be months between episodes...I thought I had it all figured out, by feeding more frequent meals, like 4 times a day...but that just seems to be putting more weight on him. This has been going on for about a year, and in this time period he's put on nearly 1 pound. Anybody have any suggestions, if not, we could still use a thought and a prayer. Thanks for listening, I just don't know what else to do...

I'm so sorry to hear Winston had another episode. I know how scary seizures are. Jewel used to have them 2-3 times a week when she was at her worst.

Has he been tested for diabetes? I just thought about it because you mentioned his blood sugar. Unfortunately he may just be epiliptic.

There are things you can do to help him incase he has another episode.
Keep an ice pack in the freezer, as soon as he starts to seize, put the ice pack on his lower back - between the last rib and his tail. It helps to keep the internal temp down and seems to shorten the length of the seizure and also the recovery time. Also, give him a small amout of icecream (vanilla) it not only boosts up the sugar level but also aids in cooling him down.

Keep a seizure diary / log and indicate the time it starts and ends along with what he was doing before during and after. It really helped my vet that I kept records of Jewel's episodes.

My heart is reaching out to you.
Corinne
Dan & Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!