View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

oktech05, I am sorry that your baby has been having problems I know it's hard to see them getting sick and not knowing what is wrong.

If you suspect liver shunt, and even if you don't...I would suggest having a bile acid test done on your baby. The one where they take the pre and post meal results...This is a $40 test that is 100% worth the money for peace of mind. Those staring episodes are things that dogs with liver shunt/mvd do when toxins are reaching the brain. Of course, there may be other reasons why your baby is doing this though.

Red meat is the absolute worst thing for a liver compromised dog. They may be fine on it at first, but the toxins will accumulate due to not being filtered properly by the liver, and will cause your dog to have those episodes and eventually seizures.
Watch for signs of head pressing/rubbing against furniture or walls.

You are right, certain meds and supplements make these liver compromised babies nauseous, and will make them throw up. But vitamins are not bad for them. In fact, they don't get enough vitamins because of their liver not being able to properly filter and take the nutrients. I have to give my dog supplements like Vitamin B-complex, vit. e, zinc, milk thistle, and denosyl. But you have to be very careful not to "overdose" on them because then it can become hard on the liver.
If you have any other questions please ask, or you can send me a PM.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!