View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
oktech05
Yorkie Yakker

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyluvsma View Post
My girlfriend has a 7 year old that had Liver Shunt surgery and she is doing well with diet and lactulose. She wishes she would have tried this diet before she did the surgery to see if Sherri would have stabilized with out having the surgery. It's 4 months later and she still has Sherri on the K/D but is doing well.

I would think you would see a difference after the first day or two. What are the pups symptoms? What are the numbers?
Sorry this reply is so long but am concerned about my baby...........

I have a few questions about the symptoms and what to do........ My pupppy Dax, 4 months old, purebred yorkie with (supposedly) no hereditary history of liver shunt is having some strange symptoms that my vet is blaming on food allergies but I am not so sure.
Dax was perfect, healthy until about 3 months and he had a sudden bout of massive diarrhea one night when I was at work. I had no Idea such a small dog could produce so much...he had gone from normal stool to pretty thin in less than 10 hours. He acted fine however no other symptoms and was drinking and interested in eating but I still took him to the vet for possible hypoglycemia because he was shivering. The vet checked him out and did a fecal smear, he had a normal temp was acting normal but the vet said he had blood in his stool, a lot of bacteria, and no parasites. I took Dax home with an antibiotic and his stool returned to normal before the end of the day.
When it came time to stop the meds, however, the diarrhea returned with a vengence. The vet this time gave him flagyl, mixed with pet tinic (vitamin), and a probiotic mixed with plain yougurt and suggested hamburger and rice diet if this did not help. He loved the yogurt but every time I tried to get him to take the vitamin he would throw up yellow bile looking liquid even though the meds were brown(sometimes even 4 hrs later) and refuse food and water sometimes all day, so after several attempts I stopped it and when the diarrhea returrned I put him on the hamburger and rice diet which resolved the diarrhea. The vet suggested I buy a pet vitamin supplement and mix into his food but that had the same result even in minute quantities. (I have heard that pups with liver shunt do not tolerate vitamins and some other meds well because they are not filtered properly.
He has been on the hamburger and rice for a weed now and he absolutely loves it (he's lying at my feet now on his blanket and has carried his bowl over from a little while ago so he can lick it lol) so I am considering home cooking for him . Anyway everything appeared fine until last night when he had a staring episode, for a couple hours he kept looking at something that was not there. Even at bedtime, when he usually jumps right under the covers and goes to sleep when I get in bed, he just kept staring and could not be distracted even with favorite toys. I have also caught him licking the plaster on the wall? He appears healthy most of the time even though he still has occaisional diarrhea even on the diet. This is my first yorkie baby and I am hooked. I am so sorry this is such a long reply but I am new here and could not figure out how to start a new thread yet.
oktech05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!