View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
LoveMyGirlz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Sad Gemma was hospitalized, but

what do you guys think of this? So if you've followed my other threads, the baby Gemma, 2 lbs) was diagnosed with giardia but not on meds yet, and was throwing up all night-from about 2am and almost every hour after that. I would get up with her, clean her up and give her some nutrical. She hadn't eaten since late afternoon yesterday. By 5:30am I was frantic and made an appt to bring her in at 10am, the first available. They admitted her and said she looked very sick. I cried my eyes out to leave her. They did xrays and blood work and all looked ok except her glucouse had dropped to 32!! Normal is 200-350 they said!! I talked to the breeder to let her know what was going on and she basically made me feel like I did the wrong thing by leaving her!!! That "yorkies do that all the time, they don't eat. So you should withhold food for 24 hours and then give her a little and she'll come around!" I could not beleive my ears! She said they will probably pump her up with too many fluids at the hospital and she might get "something" from another sick dog, etc. I felt like crap and called the dr. They said I could pick her up as late as 10pm tonight, but they would recommend she stay. I said I was going to visit for sure but didn't want to get her all worked up and the dr said she won't even care if I'm there cause she's THAT lethargic! She said with her glucous level down to 32, she could have died if I had waited! Well I went to see her and she jumped up with that cone on her head and ran to see me!!! I held her for a while and talked to her and finally had to say goodbye again and she cried!
She has a big Alaskan Malamute right below her who is bleeding internally and very sick, so crying loudly! Plus Gemma was shaking when I came to her cage but in my arms she was fine! She can't be happy there!
So......first I am insulted that the breeder pretty much ridiculed me for taking her to the hospital but second, now I DO feel guilty leaving her and seeing how happy she was to see me!
Do you think I should pick her up tonight? They said they could cap off the catheter and I could just bring her back in the morning....she looks so much better now.
I'm so sad!
LoveMyGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!