View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
merlinsmom
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New Here - Liver Questions (Long)

Some background: Merlin (age 9) started having seizure-like episodes last week. Our regular vet sent us to a neurologist, who after examining him, said he thought it might be a liver problem. We had a bile duct test done Friday and the results came back abnormal Monday. He hasn't had any episodes since Thursday, but he still isn't really himself. We are switching him to low protein (Hills k/d) which he seems to love. Our regular vet is waiting for the neurologist to consult with an internal med vet to see exactly what he recommends. Because of his age our vet said she thinks surgery is out and she doesn't think he will need to have a biopsy because we can just treat for MVD since that is the most likely.

On to the questions: Once he gets on meds and a new diet how soon should I expect to see him back to his old self? I was also curious what food everyone uses because I know there are alternatives to Hills. Did anyone else have an older dog get diagnosed with this? How did things turn out? Most of what I read is about puppies, so I wasn't sure if it was different when it is an older dog.

Sorry this is so long, but everything I have read on here so far has been very helpful! I just want my baby to get better.
merlinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!