View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Skampismum
YorkieTalk Newbie!

OMG this is exactly what happened to my little Skampi last week after his first puppy shot (the reaction your doggie had the last time....having to carry him around on a pillow & being in so much pain & not being able to touch him, he yelped in pain when I picked him up it lasted 28 hours) He is 12 weeks old, and is due his 2nd shot next week.
I have spoken to the vaccine manufacturer (duramune made by Fort Lodge....) and I have changed vets to a vet who is willing to give the vaccine without LEPTO and it's a different brand of vaccine (this one is Novibac by Intervet) and the vet will administer anti histamine prior to vaccine but I have done so much reading & also see that if the pup is exposed to allergen again the reaction is much worse. I think I am taking every precaution by switching brands and dropping LEPTO but what if the allergen is in the distemper vacine or is something else? Also he had his first shot at 11 weeks and I have also read he will have a lot of immunity already (possibly lifelong) to distemper & parvo. I have been thinking about not having the 2nd puppy shot or ever vaccinating again and using homeopathic nosodes instead. If I do this will he always be at risk, will I have to keep him indoors & away from other doggies? He won't be allowed to go to puppy class or training or agility games....also I have put my name down to foster at the local rescue but I won't be allowed to do that either if my baby is not "up to date" with all shots but his health comes before all that & I am terrified he could die next time, I have read that this has happened to a yorkie before after a shot. I know how you feel but if your baby has had all his puppy shots then he is extremely likely to be immune to everything except Lepto, if I were you I'd never have a shot for him again...he doesn't need it. But I don't know what to do about my baby, he has only had ONE shot (for parvo, Lepto, Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, Corona virus) at 11 weeks. Does anyone on here know what kind of immunity he will have after this? And does anyone have any advice about nosode use? Please advise thankyou
Skampismum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!