View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
biewerlover
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn619 View Post
well, she is young.. 4 1/2 months.. and probably 4 lbs I'd say. My roommate did come home to let her out for about a half an hour at 11... but she must have peed on herself from 11:30 - 5:30. That's 6 hours.. maybe it is too long, but I'm not sure what else I can do....

My question is.. should I stick with this method even if she continues to pee in her crate, or should I try something else? Like a playpen with peepads in the corner?? I can't really afford one right now... but I'll do whatever I have to to make this work. I love my dog and I take good care of her.. I don't want to torture her, but people say you have to be firm and just do it. It still breaks my heart..
Well, even though the rule of thumb is that a dog should be able to hold it 1hr for each month plus 1 so 5 1/2hrs here, it doesn't always work out that way. I'm thinking she just simply can't hold it that long and therefore has no choice but to pee in the crate. I feel bad for dogs because I myself go potty all the time, if I were in a crate I'd be in trouble and probably piss on myself!!! Ok, that being said, if you can't relieve her, or if there is no one to come let her out (which would be perfect, to have someone who could just go and take her outside and put her back in the crate) if that isn't an option your next thing would be to block off a small area of your home and use the pee pads. Now, this causes issues if you were hoping to train her to the outside but on the other hand, peepads are nice in the sense they let the dog relieve themselves. You have to do what is right for you, your puppy, your lifestyle. If crate training just isn't going to work right now then think about Xpen or something else. Think about what you are wanting out of this. Alot of Yorkies are never FULLY house trainined to out doors or even pee pads, others pick it up perfectly. My Yorkie (2yrs) has been trained now for 2yrs and has only has like 2-3 oops which were my fault. Find what will work for you and then stick with it so your pup isn't all confused. Hang in there..

kathy
biewerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!