View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biewerlover View Post
Well, the biggest thing here is that he is the winner and he probably knows it. If he doesn't "come" then he knows you will sit in the recliner and he gets to jump on there with you. My only thought is to start over with the "come" command. Get a longer rope and put it on his collar (harness), get a special, special treat..maybe try gerber turkey or chicken baby hotdogs..something extra special. When he is on the rope walk away from him and then turn to face him and in a VERY excited Overly Excited voice say "Rusty, come" and start reeling him in (if he doesn't come on his own) then praise praise and give that treat. Do this for while until he does come on his own, then take the rope off and try it in a confined area and see if he will come. You will really have to be consistent and work on it..maybe take a whole weekend and dedicate some training time to this command..maybe at 5-10min intervals throughout the day. Work with different treats until you find the one that trips his trigger. Don't let him have the upper hand on this. You can do it, no reason for you to be late for work!

Kathy
This is how I taught Tatum "come" at our training classes and it worked very well and she picked up on it very quickly. You have to practice, practice, practice!! Not just with regular treats, but something very special. In class I used a cooked hamburger patty because you can tear it into tiny pieces. Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!