View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
lucynfred
Senior Yorkie Talker

Luca Dean was 4 1/2 months when we brought him home, and he hadn't had proper potty training, but he did know what wee-wee meant. I have him using pee pads only inside and take him to his pee place about every other hour. He's about 50%-75% after almost 2 weeks with us. I put him in his kennel in the room I work in if he won't go, and then try again about 15 min. later. This works well. He has never used the kennel to relieve himself thank goodness. He wears a diaper if he seems to be having a bad day -- one day he'll do fine, the next day it's like he forgets he's supposed to go to the pad. He really hates being wet on his belly, so generally he'll remember to go in the right place the next time.

Consistency, praise, treats, and using a command "go wee-wee" are the things that finally got him over the 50% threshold. He doesn't get treats (about ten pieces of his regular food) unless he does something.

I'll admit, it's been very tough training him compared to my other housetraining experiences. Yorkies are so self-willed! That's what makes them fun too though!

You might consider a smaller crate. We have a large dog crate, but chose to use an old square metal milk crate instead, turned upside down. He can stand and turn a circle comfortably in it, and that's all that's necessary. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by lucynfred; 01-16-2005 at 09:15 AM.
lucynfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!