View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I think a big majority of the litters that end up in shelters are coming from unlicensed dogs to begin with. Those irresponsible owners are not going to care if the license is $10 or $150, they just won't get one. Some others who may have been willing to pay the $10, just won't buy them for $150. So, the unlicensed dogs will increase.

So, the responsible breeders will pay the extra money and it will go towards feeding, housing, and euthenizing the puppies from owners who do not pay or care. The costs will be added to the puppies the public buys and in the end it is all the same. The responsible folks in the middle will pay the tab one way or another -- through licensing fees or taxes. The irresponsible, careless owners slide by at others' expense as always.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic -- I know the law is meant to save unwanted litters from being created. But I think any laws that penalize before the crime are wrong. Instead of basically fining people for just having unspayed/unneutered dogs, go after those owners who continue to let mongrel dogs breed with no intention of providing for their offspring. JMHO.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!