View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Sherryabear
Donating Yorkie Yakker

I can share how I am training Gordon, he is 4 months old.
I got him when he was 12 weeks. Because I am home all day.....I bought a small kennel and started him on a feeding schedule and potty schedule. If he was sleeping or in his kennel , I kept it by me at all times. The first two weeks , I took him out the same door every time , each time he awoke, played, ate , or drank......(it is time consuming)......I also kept him kennel by my bed at night and if he whined , I took him out.
Each time I took him out.....it was on a leash......and sometime we would be out 15 minutes......each time he potty, I told him , good potty and gave him a treat. If he didn't potty.....I would bring him back in and put him in the kennel and wait a few minutes and then take him back out.....I kept doing this till he did potty. If he had a accident on the floor and I didn't catch him doing it.......I cleaned it up right away....and never said anything to him. If I caught him in the act inside .....I clap my hands and say NO bad potty.......and even if he finished, I would take him out the same door and say.......potty (just to show him where he WAS suppose to go).
If he was out of the kennel , he was on a leash and was by my side 90% of the time.....if not he was in the same room with me. I only allowed him in the kitchen to play and roam freely.

He is now 4 months old.........and he hasn't had a accident in the house in days. He does not bark to go out.....but he sits by the door we got out to potty.....I constantly watch him to see if he is sitting there. He hasn't had a accident in his kennel at night in over a week and a half.

I bought the bells and hung them about a week ago......he was scared of them at first. But each time I take him out......I hold a treat by his nose and then move them to the bells ........after a couple of days he started jumping up by the bells and slightly hitting them......when he did, I would say....go potty........today, he jumped and hit the bells several times when I held the treat there.......
As soon as we walk to his potty spot.....I say, potty and he starts sniffing and finds a spot and goes.

I felt like you did at first........all i did was spend time taking him out and watching him......
I also kept a chart of the time when he ate, the time he did potty......so now i can figure out when to take him out.......it has gotten easier......I am hoping we are on our way to be 100% trained soon.
I also have wood floors in my kitchen and don't allow him on my carpets......I took up all the throw rugs in the kitchen.
i know if he has a accident in the house now.....it is my fault and not his.
Sometimes I wish he was a barker to let me know when he has to go.......but he isn't.

Good luck and hang in there........the work is so rewarding.....even if it so time consuming now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!