View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Frick n Frack
Yorkie Talker

Default Outside potty experiences

Anyone who has their yorkie potty outside, I'd appreciate if you could share your experience with me. Our two pups, 8 months old, have been going in the house since 3 months old (they aren't pad trained, they go on it if I take them to it, but they won't usually go over to it on their own %100 of the time). Recently, we made the switch to outdoors because we didn't feel pad training was going to take.

Its been 3 weeks, and I'm fairly ok with the results. Basically, they have no problems going outside (unless its cold and/or wet) and they don't have any accidents if we watch them carefully. But basically, I have no life since they go out every 60 minutes and they have playtime with me and my wife for 15-30 minutes after (so we really get 15-30 minutes of every hour to ourselves!).

I would consider them trained when I don't have to stop my life every 30-60 minutes and take them out, and they could just let me know when they have to go (if its every hour so be it, but at least I get the other 55 minutes back since I don't have to follow them around), thus letting me go about my business without having to keep and eye on them. So I'm waiting for the "communication" to develop and wondering from you all how long it took, or even what form it comes in. Or just a general time line the untrained-trained path your dog took. I'm thinking it'll take my dogs a long time to train since they pottied inside so long (untrained at that), and they are older.

We do have bells, but they are scared of them and I'm not convinced they could hit them hard enough for me to hear if I was listening to my headphones or watching tv or in general doing anything. I'm hoping eventually they'll wine at the door or bark or tug on me or something.

I thank you all for any advice/war stories that you can share.
Frick n Frack is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!