View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Belindtch
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Love Sounds Like Dry Eye to Me...

I got my new puppy at l2 weeks of age. When I met the breeder to pick her up she had one eye partly closed and the other eye was normal. The breeder had trimmed her hair around the closed eye and suggested that she may have gotten a hair in the eye which irritated it. She also suggested that she had played with her litter mates and one of them may have scratched her eye. Two days later when I took her to my vet to have her checked out it was discovered that she might have a condition called dry eye. They gave me some medicine and a return appointment. They did various tests but continued to treat her eyes with drops 3x a day. Her eye did not seem to get better. I made the decision to switch vets. I wanted to confirm that we were on the right track with the diagnosis. Sure enough we were. To make a long story short her condition is inherited due to the breeding procedures. My vet wanted to write the breeder and suggest that she not breed the two dogs again because the condition would only become more common. My breeder denied ever having any eye problems with any of her dogs. She continues to breed the two dogs and still maintains that she has had no problems with any of her dog's eyes. Emily Kate has just turned one. She has cost us in excess of $2500 in vet bills alone, but she is worth every penny of it. As long as I can afford it we'll continue to search for improvement to her eye. She has some scaring in both eyes but one eye is worse than the other. Hopefully, we have addressed the problem early enough to save her vision. We just take it one day at a time. She is my "special needs" little girl and I love her with all of my heart. She is one precious little yorkie...even if she requires medicine 3x a day.
Belindtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!