View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #50
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnygurl View Post
I need to listen to my better judgement more often. Anyhoo here it goes: Not to step on anyone's toe's but it is all a matter of your personal preference. I think it's great so many are able to cook their dog's home cooked meals!

My mother feeds her dogs Kibble's and Bits and as much as I detest her choice it is her personal preference. I can tell her how bad it is til my face turns blue it won't change her mind (believe me I tried). I personally detest cooking for myself so cooking for my dogs is out the question. I also don't pretend to know better than scientists who have studied dog nutrition for years and formulated some pretty decent dog foods formulations in the market today

Yorkiedaze, I mean this kindly, but please, please stop sending me that PM about home cooked meals. I've got it twice before already. In my personal opinion unless it's all organically grown personally; all food has the potential for contamination. Also, if dog food isn't regulated what is AAFCO for if not to regulate dog food.

AAFCO: "The purpose of the corporation shall be to establish and maintain an Association through which officials of any state, dominion, federal or other governmental agency and employees thereof charged with a responsibility in enforcing the laws regulating the production, labeling, distribution, or sale of animal feeds or livestock remedies may unite to explore the problems encountered in administering such laws, to develop just and equitable standards, definitions and policies to be followed in enforcing such laws, to promote uniformity in such laws, regulations and enforcement policies, and to cooperate with members of the industry producing such products in order to promote the effectiveness and usefulness of such products." Source: http://www.aafco.org/

*running out of thread and hiding from backlash*
i'm glad you mentioned the AAFCO. I was discussing the food recall with one of the vets i work with during the week and he said that there really is no firm regulation on making dog food. He did say however, that when looking for foods once you find one that has the ingredients you want in it check the bag of the bag to see if it says "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that "food name" provides complete and balanced nutrition for the maintenance of "adult/puppy/senior/whatever age" dogs.

that is what you ultimately want to look for. make sure that the food has actually been thru a feeding test. Some companies will just throw some stuff together and put it in a bag without testing to see if dogs will eat it or without testign its nutritional breakdown chemically.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!