View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
I*Love*My*Bean!
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Sad HELP!!! Surgery, spay, teeth. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY FULL GROWN 2LB YORKIE!!

My girl Nina is 2.2lbs and is 1 year 4 mos. old. I am her second owner because the first was traveling too much, a friend of mine. She never got her spayed because of her size. Anyways, she has been in heat now for 2 weeks, and sleeps a lot. I feel bad for her. She is scheduled for a spay march 19th as well as a teeth cleaning. I found a doc that works with a lot of those "teacup" (I know that's not a real term) dogs. He only uses gas anesthesia because you can stop it immediately and wake her up if any complications occur. Also her teeth are bad, bleed every time i try to brush them, the groomer agreed. Previous owner never brushed them. She also has grade 3 and 4 luxating patellas. I would never buy one of these "teacups" myself, but I took her in because my friend had a 4 and 6 year old daughter, which is not a good environment for small dogs. I also have two small chihuahuas who love playing with her. Anyways, my mom and my grandmother, two huge animal rights activists (my grandmother has been featured on Animal Planet, and is well known in central and south america for her charity work) disagree with the surgery! They warn me vets only want your $$$$ and make you sign an agreement that they are not responsible for complications. I agree with them, but I don't like Nina being so warn out being in heat (loosing a lot of blood) and also I don't want her to lose all her teeth (I feed her dry food and try to brush her teeth almost daily). Her breath is super KILLER!!!! Bad!! But I would hate for her to get decay and toothaches as well. The doc also suggested in the future the knee surgery for her grade 4 luxating patella on her left leg. She carries it when she runs and I know she is in pain. Again, my mom and grandmom say not to do anything...

I'm lost! Should i do surgery, or should i just do my best to take care of her as she is and let nature run its course???? I've owned dogs all my life , but not a yorkie, and one this small!!!!
I*Love*My*Bean! is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!