Thread: No new shunts!
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
River
Senior Yorkie Talker

Both of his shunts were extrahepatic. They thought everything was OK after the 1st shunt was taken care of, but even though his bile acids came down close to normal, he never quite made it to the really normal readings. At almost a year after the first surgery his bile acids started to climb again so I had him ultrasounded again and found out he had ANOTHER extrahepatic shunt. He went back for another surgery. They tell me only like 1 in 400 dogs get a second extrahepatic shunt after the first is taken care of, it's very rare, but does happen. His liver had really perked up even though he got a second shunt so after the second surgery his first bile acid test was completely normal, as was the next 2. He has to keep having the tests done every 6 to 8 weeks until he hits a year after the surgery, then they want to have them done at least 2 times a year just to monitor it. He has really blossomed into a handsome boy with a great appetite. At last test he weighed 15lbs! He's a real "mama's boy" and I love it!! He is worth every penny I've spent on him!
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!