View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
ForeverPiper
Yorkie Yakker

Sorry to hear your pup may have an ear infection. I'm an old pro with them as one of my Goldens would get yeast infections in her ear all the time. Goldens are prone to them. Going to the vet is a good idea. If it is a yeast infection, he will probably prescribe Otomax drops for it.

Until then try taking a cotton ball and putting some hydrogen peroxide on it. You might have some already in your medicine cabinet, and it comes in a brown bottle. It is the main ingredient in most ear washes you would buy for a lot more money. Very inexpensive. Don't soak the cotton ball, just enough to dampen it. Gently lift her ear and clean the ear canal with out going to deep. The hydrogen peroxide will both clean the infection, and help to dry out the ear canal. Do it a few times with a new cotton ball. Finally, use a fresh dry cotton ball to dry it out. If she has floppy ears, you may want to tape them together so that her ear is up and fresh air can get in to keep them dry. Moisture is one of the biggest causes of yeast infections. Also, I would clean both ears even if only one smells. I do this weekly with my dogs and it works like a charm.

Good luck and definately take her into the vet on Monday. What he can prescribe will probably help her find much relief for the itching.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!