View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
catser2002
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Please send get well thoughts to Archie

Poor little Archie had an unfortunate accident --- an encounter with one of our cats. Silly cats are all afraid of these two small dogs, mainly because Archie and Willie are intense cat chasers.

When Archie and Willie run into the back bedroom where the cats spend most of their time, the cats usually run under the bed.

Tuesday afternoon Archie jumped onto the bench where one of the cats was sleeping and startled the cat. The cat tried to jump over Archie to get away and both of them were making much noise.

I checked Archie over and didn't see any damage, but it became apparent later he was not well and I feared the cat had scratched Archie's left eye. Dashed over to the emergency vet (this was around 10 PM) and they confirmed that his eye was badly scratched and infected.

They had to sedate him a little to really check the eye (he is an impossible wiggler - if there is such a word) and start him on two different medications.

Had a recheck with his regular vet the next day and was advised we needed to continue only the antibiotic eye drops 4 to 6 times a day. And he has to wear an e-collar -- he just hates it.

The first day of trying to get the one drop into his eye was a huge struggle. He has gotten much better with the routine now. He was pretty much out of it on Wednesday probably due to a combination of trauma, pain meds and dealing with that collar but by Thursday he was running around and playing with his brother. His eye is still clouded but no longer as swollen and no further discharge.

Has a re-check on Monday and I'm hoping for the best. None of the three vets (2 at emergency and his regular vet) who saw him would discuss long term prognosis beyond telling me it would take at least two weeks for the scratch to heal.

We have them scheduled to be neutered on the 15th, and his vet said that should be fine and he'd be able to look very closely at his eye while he was out. So poor little Archie is just going to go from one trauma to another.

While Archie's eye injury is fairly serious, just last week Willie had been to the vet to be treated for an eye scratch also. His injury was very minor and probably the result of roughhousing with his brother. He never was in pain and the only clue we had was he kept squinting one eye. He had a gel I had to put in his eye for three days but was fine by then.

I'm hoping this month ends up better for Archie - and Willie too. Any good thoughts you can send this way will be much appreciated.
catser2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!