View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
LucyNTuckersMom
Senior Yorkie Talker

This is why I got up the nerves to groom my own. I went to several PetSmart and PetCo's, just to survey, and the people grooming there looked so young, and erm, kinda careless. Dogs or luggage? Who cares? This is a dead end job anyway... was the feeling.
Next I called a grooming place by my home, and they wanted $42 per dog, and they needed 4-5 hours. No, you could not watch the dogs getting groomed, and they had one drying cage they used for dogs that did not sit well for the manual dryer. I made an appt, then called back and canceled after 15 minutes of stressing out over it.
Next I am driving behind this really cool van, that is a groomer who does house calls! I jot down the number and call. They are not taking new clients.
Next, I post here, out of pure desperation. My pups are looking like the Shaggy DA.
I get lots of links, photos, encouragement and advice. Someone even recommended a yorkie grooming DVD.

I had no hair cutting or grooming experience at all. In fact, hair is a mystery to me. I am in awe of people who cut hair (how do they not lose their place?)

I bought this DVD online, and watched it a few times. I got a mid priced clipper and plan to get a decent pair of shears very soon. Some combs and a slicker, and puppy cut them myself. Very cute, if I do say so. One looked a little to schnauzery for my taste, but I figured out that was from trimming the sides of the face hairs too much, and then leaving a longer beard. fortunately, I did the little at a time school of cutting, and it's growing back quickly.

I have read so many posts here about dogs coming back from the groomer funky looking. Aside from the cost, and the appt making, and the stress of it (on me and the dog) there is the fact that they could end up all weird looking. And you can't fix that. If you're lucky, you don't have to pay.

Teresa
LucyNTuckersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!