View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
LucyNTuckersMom
Senior Yorkie Talker

I am not familiar with the book you mention, but the breeder we got our Yorkies from also gives out a guidebook with each puppy, that they wrote, and they suggest in the book that it takes 3 mos. to train a Yorkie. I don't know; all I have ever had are Yorkies, but I have heard that they are one of the more difficult breeds to potty train.

Lucy is really smart, and I'd say it took her about 3 months to be fully potty trained. Tucker is not the brightest bulb, and I'd say after 5 months now, he's probably 85% trustworthy... I watch him like a hawk on the carpeting. Still, when we go anywhere else, all bets are off. Just last weekend, Tucker pooped on my mom's floor right in front of us all! We went outside in her yard like 10x that day, and nothing, til he's inside, on the rug! Argh!

This was a huge undertaking for us, as we had only had cats before these 2... and cats are practically self taught! This took firm commitment to crate training, and willingness to get up outta bed, often multiple times in the night when they were really little. There were times I thought of that 3 month mark, and really wished I had known that before... it seemed to last on and on. They are so worth it now. But again, there are 2 of us, both working full time, but both adjusting our schedules so the dogs are alone for a maximum of 7 hours 2 days a week and 6 hours 3 days a week. When they were real little, I came home at lunch.

Teresa
LucyNTuckersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!