View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Having an open fontanel at that age is not really unusual however, as a breeder I would not have sold her with an open fontanel and given the small size. It is her size that worries me.
She may simply be having some hypoglycemia attacks. She should be eating very well fairly steady and supplimenting with protein in particular helps a lot. Nutrical if you aren't sure won't hurt her.
Many Yorkies are not born with an open fontanel, technically they should be closed at birth. Having said that, it is not that unusual for an open fontanel at birth. These often will close over time especially if it isn't very big in the first place.
The other issue to consider with an open fontanel, is whether or not the puppy could be hydrocephalic, meaning the fluid chambers in the brain are larger than normal. They can be slightly larger or greatly larger. Greatly larger can be a problem and if that is the case, it is better if the fontanel doesn't close as there would be too much pressure building up the brain and that would cause seizuers.
There are other health issues that may or may not be there however, pretty hard to test for much at this stage given size and age.
The best you can do is don't let her out of your sight, make sure she is eating well and watch for any vomiting, diahrrea etc. A little one like that can dehydrate very very quickly and crash as a result. Veterinary intervention would be required immediately of there is too much fluid loss and weakening.
I will caution anyone buying a Yorkie pup, please don't purchase and bring it home unless it is minimum 2 lbs, more is better. If the breeder is unwilling to keep it until a better size is reached, find another breeder.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!