View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Clicker training works.

The experts (as in, the people with PhD's in the field) think Cesar is setting dog training back 20 years. His way may look sensational, but it's not a good way to train your dog. It's a terrible way to have a relationship with your dog.

People comment on how Loki is one of the best trained dogs they know. (He's not, but he's better than most.) Our trainer uses ALL positive reinforcement. I've seen her teach her dogs something entirely new in a few minutes. I'm not that talented but I can teach Loki a new trick or behavior easily. I taught him to press a Staples Easy Button in an afternoon.

It's not just for tricks either. It works for potty training, manners, loose leash walking and more. Your trainer should discuss things like setting rules and boundaries. At our house the dogs sit for their treats and their dinner and before I throw their toys. Sammy is still learning but Loki goes to his crate when I say "crate" even if I'm 3 rooms away and sits there and waits for his treat. Best of all, it's fun.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!