View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Lopsi
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Before I knew how to train Pixie, we reprimanded all bad behavior... and she wasn't learning a thing. (Note - we didn't beat her, just a couple occassional swats and lots of "Bad Girl!")

She wasn't getting anything - including potty training. Then we started training, and I learned about the positive reinforcement way. My husband and I battled on it for a while before he finally gave up and said, "Look, I don't agree with what you're choosing to do, but I'll stay out of it. You just do what you feel like you want to." He had the same problems - if I did that, I wouldn't be teaching her what NOT to do and she wouldn't be reprimanded at all. But I took that as my OK to jump on the positive methods.

Seriously, within 2 weeks, we didn't have any more accidents other than the occasional "no one's home and I gotta go" kind of thing. My husband is shocked, but it's made a believer out of him... and me too. I didn't really believe in it when I started, but she was 7 months old when we started and not making any progress. I figured it was time to try SOMETHING else. I'm a believer now.

I don't know how it works really other than that you teach them what TO do, so they avoid the bad behaviors. The other way around, you're only teaching them to HIDE their bad behaviors from you such as pooping behind the sofa and peeing under the table.

That's my input. I'm all for the positive methods now. So is my husband.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!