View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Travelvixen
No Longer a Member

Omg Old Dog, New Bad Habit!

Corky is 12 years old. We've had him for a little over two years and only in the last six months, he has not been walking on the leash as he used to. He used to walk and stop and pee or poop normally. But now, he very violently pulls back on the leash (he's wearing a halter so he can throw his entire 8 pound little body into it sometimes with a little leap in the opposite direction) and walks in the opposite direction of where we're going in order to force me to stop. Sometimes it's painful when he yanks my arm like that and I've also dropped packages I'm carrying as a result of his yanking. If I'm in a hurry and don't want to stop, I end up with the "Surfing Yorkshire" who has firmly planted all fours in the locked position hoping that I'll eventually get the message that he wants to stop.
We don't know how to deal with it because if we don't stop he'll keep surfing and I'm afraid he'll end up damaging his pads but if we do stop (which we must since obvoiusly he needs to pee and poop) it just reinforces this behaviour.
Corky is a great dog, don't get me wrong. Other than that issue he is a very obedient dog. He sits, stays and comes on command. That is why this behaviour is so shocking. He is perfectly potty trained, eats well, sleeps very well, doesn't bite, bark much at all or chew or do any other bad things. However, after leaving him for several weeks in the care of a friend who also has a yorkie while we traveled in Central America, he picked up this habit from her dog who has been doing it for years.
What should we do? Should we put him back on the lead with a collar?
Help. He's getting bossier and bossier, especially with my husband but also with me.
Thanks YT readers for any help
Travelvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!