View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
byke32
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default working full-time and potty training a puppy

Hi, I am new to yorkietalk and I am thinking of getting a yorkie in several months. Before I take on such a huge responsibility of raising a yorkie puppy, I'd like to know if it's possible giving my work schedule.

I work 8-6 from Monday to Friday, sometimes even longer. From all the reading that I have done, I understand that it's too early to potty traing puppies because they don't have enough muscle to control their bladder/bowel functions. From what I read on How to Housebreak your dog in 7 days by Shirlee Kalstone, it's best not to formally paper-train him but to confine him to a papered "nursey" area in the kitchen until he's old enough to go outdoor.

I'll definitely hire someone to feed/ watch the puppy several times a day when I am at work. There are several options that I am currently contemplating:

1. Hire a dog sitter/ that stop by my place at least twice to three times a day while I am away to feed my puppy.
2. Hire a college kid or someone full time (it's cheaper than hire a trainer/ sitter) to watch my puppy, while I am at work.
3. Bring my puppy to a professional facility once he'/she's old enough and receive all the shots while I am at work, so that my puppy can be monitored continuously and be trained at the same time.

I live in Long Beach, CA. Any referrals/ suggestions/ recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks.
byke32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!