View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
bean.C
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieGirl87 View Post
I didn't let Jewelina go for walks until she was abobut 15 weeks old and had had all of her "major" shots. Most pups are so energetic anyway if you give them room to run around they will get plenty of exercise! Old Mother Hubbard makes some great puppy treats that are really healthy! They are very small too, I think they sell them at Petsmart. There's also some treats called Little Buddy treats and my Jewelina just LOVES those!
She's awfully small to only be fed twice a day. My boy is only 4 pounds and my girl is 1 pound 11 ounces and I free feed both of them. However, when I got Jewelina my vet told me to feed her about 5-6 times a day because of her size. She was 1 pound 9 ounces then.

As to the milk, personally, I'd stop putting it over her food now. Store bought milk doesn't have the nutrients in it that a mothers milk would have and sometimes it can make your dogs tummy not feel so great. This is a formula I used to give Jewelina before bed every night and she just loved it:
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup baby rice cereal
1 jar meat baby food, anything but turkey
1 tsp. karo syrup

I'd mix all of this together and give her about two to three tablespoons before bed. If you wanted something to put over her food instead of milk you might want to try that since it has a good mix of protien and carbs in it and should keep her blood levels regulated.

I feed Jewelina Canidae All Life stages kibble now and I just put it out for her dry and put a supplement over it called "Missing Link" and she just nibbles on it throughout the day. I personally believe in free feeding because both of mine are so small. I've never had any problems with either of them and I say if they want to eat, let them eat!

I would try just giving her the dry food without soaking it and see if she'll eat it. It's better for her teeth if she will, you could even try drizzling a little bit of that honey you are giving her over the food and you can heat up her dry food if you want (I put Jaden and Jewelina's in the microwave for about 10 seconds. That way I know it isn't TOO hot but it is "warm") if she doesn't seem inclined to eat it at first and see how it goes from there.
so how many times a day should i feed her? i feed her in ther morning and in the evening, because from 12-5 im at school. and i soak her food because she only has her canines and just a couple of teeth on the bottom in the far back...should i really stop soaking her food? i would think it would be best to wait until more of her teeth grew in, huh? or should i just give it a try now? thanks for the info
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!